The 2019 Action Plan represents the vision of the Champlain Canalway Trail Working Group, a volunteer partnership that includes local and regional canal and trail groups, public agencies, and park and preservation organizations. The Working Group seeks to establish the Champlain Canalway Trail, a continuous public multi-use trail from Waterford to Whitehall. The Action Plan is designed to unify the region’s outstanding historic, cultural, natural and recreational assets and establish a world-class destination for residents and visitors.
CCTWG first convened in 2008 to find ways to complete the Champlain Canalway Trail. The initial conveners included Lakes to Locks Passage Scenic Byway and the Town of Halfmoon who received assistance from the National Park Service Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program (RTCA). The Working Group met with local communities and compiled ideas from dozens of maps and planning reports.
The 2019 Action Plan was sponsored and administrated by the Town of Stillwater and funded by a grant from the Hudson River Valley Greenway Community Grant Program. The Working Group updated the existing conditions and developed a list of issues and opportunities along the proposed trail route. Trail segments were organized by individual community and, taken all together, the segments present a complete vision for the trail.
The following organizations contributed to the 2019 Action Plan:
- Agricultural Stewardship Association
- Canalway Trails Association New York
- Empire State Trail
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
- Feeder Canal Alliance
- Hudson Crossing Park
- Hudson River Valley Greenway
- Lakes to Locks Passage
- National Park Service Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program
- New York State Canal Corporation
- New York State Department of State
- New York State Department of Transportation
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation
- New York State Snowmobile Association
- Parks and Trails New York
- Saratoga County
- Saratoga National Historical Park
- Saratoga PLAN
- Town of Stillwater
- Washington County
- Washington County Association of Snowmobile Clubs
In addition, the Action Plan was developed with input and support from all of the participating municipalities in Saratoga and Washington counties including:
- Town of Waterford and Village of Waterford
- Town of Halfmoon
- City of Mechanicville
- Town of Stillwater and Village of Stillwater
- Town of Saratoga, Village of Victory, Village of Schuylerville, and Town of Northumberland
- Town of Easton
- Town of Greenwich
- Town of Fort Edward and Village of Fort Edward
- Town of Kingsbury
- Town of Fort Ann and Village of Fort Ann
- Town of Whitehall and Village of Whitehall
The LA Group received a 2019 NY Upstate Chapter, American Planning Agency (APA) award for implementing the 2019 .comprehensive update of the 2011 Champlain Canalway Trail Action Plan.
“Funded in Part by a Grant from the Hudson River Valley Greenway”
Web design services provided as an in-kind service by Flatley Read, Inc.